viernes, 10 de marzo de 2017

Beloved Curve













Beloved Curve examines the transitory nature of human life in relation to the cyclical and constantly regenerating natural world, as well as being a personal chronicle of my attempts to understand and come to terms with the death of my father, Michael, in 2004.

















Using double exposure techniques to create a dialogue between my father’s documented (photographed) past and my immediate, unknowable present, the work attempts to reconcile the two realities that grief creates: a before, in which the beloved is a living, breathing person, and an after, in which they exist only in the memory of the bereaved, resigning agency to the imagination of the living. 

















These images speak to the undulating, cyclical nature of grief, in some, my father’s presence is clear, his features perfectly recollected. In others, he is indistinct, as my memory of his physicality is eroded by time, his reality slowly reclaimed by the natural world, receding into the past as my own trajectory continues into the future.
















Photos and text:
Sarah Amy Fishlock




No hay comentarios: